Monday, April 18, 2016

The bubble I live in

As some of you may know, I am currently living in Israel! Israel is known by many as a dangerous place full of terrorism and hate and blah blah blah. It really isn't. Israel is actually an amazing, beautiful place full of incredible people with incredible confidence. But where I am living is very much a bubble. I am exposed to the true Israel on some of my trips, but not often. Today, there was a bus explosion in Jerusalem, just under 10 miles away from me. When you think 10 miles you would think a short drive to lunch, or to visit a friend. It's close, right? Well, from where I am, 10 miles is like the distance from the north to south of Israel, very far. This is because I am living on a very secular, peaceful, friendly kibbutz (community). I get real time alerts of anything that happens in Israel so I knew right away. But many of my friends here had no idea. I have gotten many messages asking if I am okay because this happened so "close" to me. YES! I'm doing great! I am not the slightest bit concerned about this possible attack. The bubble protects me from worry. Though I am very safe here, this bubble also keeps out much of Israel that is not even remotely dangerous. I would personally like to be able to go out and explore more of Israel to experience it, not from the eyes of a tourist, but from the eyes of a possible pilgrim. I love Kibbutz Tzuba and it's bubble, but I wish that I was allowed to have more freedom off of the kibbutz.

No comments:

Post a Comment