Tuesday, May 10, 2016

What am I doing?

I hope you all know by now that I have spent the last (almost) 4 months studying in Israel. I have learned so much more about Israel, Judaism, and the Jewish people. One of the biggest questions I feel like I have been asked is the reason I'm writing this post; What does it mean to be part of "am Yisrael" (The people of Israel)?  Being part of the people of Israel and the Jewish people to means that I am part of a community that is not only within my temple at home, but a global community. If I were to travel the world and look for a group of people who speak the same language from country to country and read the same parts of a the same book on the same day, the only group like this would be the Jewish people, the people of Israel. Judaism to me is more than a religion, I personally do not believe in a god and what I love about Judaism is that my belief in a deity doesn't matter. What matters are my actions as I live my life. I give money to the homeless as I'm walking through Chicago, not because if I do I'll go to heaven, but because if I don't they might not eat that night. I do things because they help people, not because I'll get eternal life. This is a critical part of what being part of am Yisrael means to me. It means I do things in a selfless manner. It also means that I have the ability to my own opinion, there's a funny joke I have heard more than once on this trip; Two Jews, three opinions. It's very accurate, all Jews have opinions and question things. I recently got to go to a very special service at the western wall in Jerusalem in which a feminist group known as Women of the Wall (WoW) said a blessing, normally only said by men. They also managed to smuggle a torah scroll into the womens prayer side of the western wall. They did this because there are no torah scrolls for women to read from on their side. Ironically enough it is 100% legal for women to read torah at the western wall, but it is illegal to bring a torah because "There are already many available at the western wall," But on the mens side in which the women cant get to. This is an instance of many Jewish opinions and oppositions. My ability to express my opinions are a very strong part of Judaism for me. In general, being part of the people of Israel means so much to so many people, trying to answer such a question is very difficult to do. I have attempted but it is not nearly all that I want to say. I have ideas I cannot simply put into words because I do not exactly understand them enough. I do know for sure, I am Jewish, I am a part of the people of Israel, and it plays a major part in who I am today.

2 comments: