Thursday, May 5, 2016

My Congregation at home

Throughout EIE we have talked multiple times about Israels government, the different parties, as well as their views on different things. Many people would say Israel needs a change in leadership, many would disagree. Change in leadership is a common thing to happen for multiple reasons. The person is unable to do their job, they are not fit for their job, or even that they are causing harm to those below them. Though in most cases, its because the current leader is ready to be done. They have done nothing wrong, they might have even been incredible leaders, but leading is a difficult task that they are ready to pass on. In my congregation at home, we are getting ready to say goodbye to our head rabbi, Rabbi Steven Bob. I've known him since my family joined the temple when I was 3. He has been a major influence in my life, helping me keep my Jewish values, teaching me about Israel, and even teaching me Hebrew at camp. Rabbi Bob has made our temple a fun, inviting, and exciting place to be for any Jewish event, but he is ready to retire.
Through change in leadership comes change in ideology and values. They may not be large changes, but they are there. I know for one thing that our next Rabbi is much more accepting of interfaith and LGBT+ families and members. Today, These are large views that more and more people feel are important. Our current rabbi would not marry interfaith families, though he would still welcome them with open arms to services on shabbat. I personally believe it is important to allow people to marry who they want, but it is also important for people to have their own opinions on who can marry who. I think that with the change in leadership in my temple will bring good changes as well as more progressive ideologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment